Saturday, May 26, 2012

Back to the roots :) Cleveland fun


My uncle John is from Cleveland and a pilot for US Airways, he arranged standby tickets for me. Because I have never traveled on buddy pass before, I asked flight attended at the gate what should I do. She suggested that I sit and wait to be called. So I took out my computer, went on facebook and enjoyed some bird watching on Decorah eagles. I forgot about the time and when I realized it was too late, I missed my flight! I swear they didn’t call me!  I was so very lucky to get the next one to Charlotte.  When we landed my connecting flight was already boarding. I ran like crazy, almost knocking down a little kid. I was still able to meet my uncle at the gate and we both rushed to get the next plane. Inspite of our haste I was told there were 5 people waiting in the standby line before me. We finally managed to get to Cleveland. We made a camp fire in front of his house, tested some beers and talked long into the night.
Next day we went to private airport and took the Clipper for a ride. John let me launch it and I zig-zagged into the sky.  We landed at Classic Jet center where we took another plane called the Seabee, with the idea to land on water. After flying we went back to his place and assembled some old hanggliders that he had in his garage.  One of them looked ok to fly. Maybe side wires needs to be changed, but it looks like I have a new old glider in the States! It surly looked much better than Spajk (old Sting glider I flew in Australia).
I had only two days time with my relatives from Cleveland. We were cycling, making s’mores, visiting bars and restaurants, cheering for  Mihelca’s Matt and Toncka at Cleveland marathon competition. I was very happy that Annie and her husband Matt joined us too. She lives in Pennsylvania. 
The next day we went flying again. This time Toncka was able to come with us too. We landed on the water and we had a great time at Mintor Marsh beach and made some crazy low passes at Pristava. He let me fly it most of the time.
Like usual, I couldn’t just go when it was the date to go, so I extended for one more day. We went to visit my uncle Pavle’s factory Pako. American dreams coming true. They are making parts for airplanes. He has something like 300 employees and they are just opening another place. I was astonished by the precision and tests they have to make. I took a lot of pictures, but something went wrong and I lost them all! I guess I will just have to go to factory again.
In the afternoon we went flying, again. Because cloud base was too low we were flying low and John let me land the Seabee on the water by myself. I was scared as hell, sweating, blood pressure and heart beat went up even as I landed perfectly. I can’t find a word that would tell you how excited I was. Looks like I have to get some work, so that I will be able to get myself a pilot’s license! 



 
Sorodnik John iz Clevelanda je pilot pri US airways in mi je zrihtal stanby karte. To pomeni da se lahko vkrcaš na letalo če je prost sedež. Prvi let sem zamudila, saj so mi naročili naj počakam, da me pokličejo. Tako sem sedela pred vhodom v letalo in brskala po spletu. Zgleda da me je internet dobro odnesel, saj ko sem se spomnila da je čas odhoda, je bila čakalnica že prazna. Vkrcali so me na drugo letalo, ki pa je bilo pozno, tako sem hitela da sem ujela povezovalni let do Clevelanda.
Naslednji dan sva šla z Johnom, po nase Jančkom, na privat letališče kjer sem prvič vozila avijon Clipper. Cik cak po pisti in v luft. Če je kdorkoli videl ta vzlet od zunaj si je najverjetneje mislil da je pilot pijan. Pristala sva na naslednjem letališču kjer sva vzela letalo, ki lahko pristane na vodi in se šla igrat z njim.
Imela sem samo še dva dni da se družim s sorodniki. Tako smo šle kolesariti z Mihelco in Tončko, obiskali še ostale sorodnike in ob večeru pekli smorse na kamp ognju. Bila sem zelo vesela da se nam je pridružila še Annie in njen mož Matt. Saj živita v Pensylvaniji, okoli šest ur vožnje iz Clevelanda. V nedeljo smo navijali za Mihelčinega moža, še en Matt, in Tončko, ker sta tekla na Clevelandskem maratonu. Vsega skupaj 20.000 tekačev.
V ponedeljek sem spet preživela odlepljena od tal. Tokrat je z nama odšla tudi Tončka. Večino časa sem lahko jaz vozila Seabee, razen, ko je Janček pilotiral nizko nad krošnjami dreves in pristal v vodi na plaži Minor Marsh beach. Teta Polonca nam je pripravila hladilno torbo polno senvičev in ostalih slaščic tako da smo jih po končanem letenju pojedli v senci Seabeejinih kril.
Kot ponavadi, tudi tokrat nisem mogla oditi, zato sem izlet podaljšala za en dan. Obiskala Pako firmo, katero je ustanovil očetov stric Pavle in bila presenečena nad velikostjo podjetja,  preciznostjo izdelave, nadzora ki ga opravljajo in inovacij. Izdelujejo dele za avijone, ki jih prodajajo za vse možne trge. V Italijo, Nemčijo, Japonsko ...
Popoldne sva z Jančkom spet zapregla Seabee in tokrat mi je dovolil da sama pristanem v vodi. Bilo je nepozabno. Moja naslednja želja je izpit za avijon.  






No comments:

Post a Comment